Vice President, Operations
The Calgary Airport Authority
The Vice President, Operations forms part of the executive leadership team, joining one of the most successful airport enterprises in Canada and an iconic organization in western Canada.
The successful candidate will be afforded the outstanding opportunity to take an organization with huge potential through a period of transformational change, having just completed a ten-year major expansion program and currently embarking on a brand new five-year strategic plan.
Integral to this effort is a significant cultural change underway within the Authority and the successful candidate should be both capable and interested in helping drive that change along with other members of the executive leadership team.
This role is responsible for effective oversight, planning and implementation of airport operations with ultimate responsibility for ensuring day-to-day delivery of safe, secure and efficient airport operations. The VP is expected to build and create a long- term operations strategy that illustrates how airport operations need to evolve to meet the increased level of expectations of the travelling public framed against the ever-changing regulatory aviation landscape.
This person will oversee approximately 100 permanent full-time employees with three direct reports: Director, Terminal Operations; Director, Airside Operations; and General Manager, Springbank Airport.
There are four key areas of responsibility for this role:
- Ensuring regulatory compliance of the aerodromes;
- Ensuring the efficient use of the facilities, both in-terminal and airfield;
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with a number of airport partners and agencies; and
- Strategic foresight and leadership for the operations function and team.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 10+ years of progressive experience in a variety of operations disciplines with at least 10 years in the aviation sector. Candidates will logically come from:
- Leading airport enterprises recognized for their operational excellence;
- Leading airline enterprises wherein the executive has gained deep exposure to airport operations;
- Leading aviation services organizations wherein the executive has gained deep exposure to airport operations.
- Experience working in airport environments featuring similar scale, complexity, and operating characteristics to those in place at YYC, including of origin-destination and connecting traffic, international / domestic, multi-terminal, multi-runway, and winter weather conditions, among other considerations.
- Has ideally served as the number one operating executive at smaller or mid-sized airport enterprise or as a strong number two operating executive at larger airport enterprises.
- Experience setting strategic direction for operating units, effectively engaging key stakeholders executing strategies.
- Proven track record of progressive business success at various levels in multi-disciplinary environments.
- Proven experience in developing effective interpersonal relationships, both internal and external to the organization. Has demonstrated an ability to negotiate and partner effectively with a variety of constituent groups, both internal and external, deploying a win-win mindset and collaborative approach.
- A strong strategic thinker with proven experience in providing leading-edge thinking in airport operations. Has ideally worked in airport/aviation enterprises that are considered best practice and leading edge in their operating approaches.
- Experience leading culture change, improving employee engagement scores, and large change management initiatives.
- Outstanding leadership abilities with a track record of building strong teams, developing people, and leading/influencing through others in a performance-driven culture.
- A passion and commitment to the aviation industry.
- Has the potential to grow into broader and bigger roles at the Authority, including standing for potential succession to the role of President and Chief Executive Officer.
University degree in a relevant discipline is required.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. It will include a base salary, annual performance bonus, long term incentives, and flexible benefits.
Address: 2000 Airport Road NE, Calgary, AB T2E 6W5
Salary: $175,000.00 to $250,000.00 annually (to be negotiated) for 40 hours per week
Terms of Employment: Permanent Full-Time Position
Vice President, Fixed Operations - Product Support
Vice President of Operations
Junior Engineering Technician / Technologist