Accounts Payable Manager
VersaCold Logistics Services
We are a food-first supply chain company with one of North America’s largest cold chain networks. We're dedicated to ensuring the safety, quality and freshness of the food families eat. With 65 years of experience, we collaborate as entrusted partners to maintain cold chain integrity and deliver customized solutions to complex business challenges. The foundation of our culture is based upon The VersaCold Way demonstrating our commitment to health and safety, integrity, innovation, performance and collaboration.
We are a growing organization and currently looking for a passionate and motivated Manager, Accounts Payable to join our winning team.
Employment Type: Full Time
Reports To: VP, Controller & Business Effectiveness
The Manager, Accounts Payable will be responsible for the effective operation of the accounts payable and driver pay function for all 6 business units. The successful candidate has a sense of urgency and a keen eye for details. This individual enjoys challenges, possesses a strong customer service orientation and can manage multiple priorities in a high-volume environment.
- Leads and promotes a culture where Health & Safety is the #1 priority. Provides leadership and support for Health & Safety initiatives throughout the accounts payable team.
- Provides overall direction, support, coaching and leadership to the Accounts Payable Team to achieve prescribed objectives and align department and individual efforts to the vision, mission, strategy and culture.
- Develops and leads regular team communication sessions to review safety initiatives, business performance and other initiatives.
- Monitors, measures, coaches and develops direct reports, ensures adherence to policies and procedures, provides recognition, evaluates and provides feedback on performance, addresses performance concerns and resolves problems.
- Manages the ongoing development of talent and leadership of direct reports.
- Responsible for the hiring, training and development of employees.
- Champions company-wide programs for increasing employee engagement, communications and people development.
- Leads their team in providing the highest levels of service to all customers and suppliers with whom they interact, whether internal or external, with the goal of continuously improving the customer experience.
- Implements improved operational processes that enhance capabilities to meet/exceed service standards.
- Ensures organizational adherence and accountability to standard operating procedures.
- Builds relationships across partner channels, both internally and externally.
- Continuously grows and develops operational knowledge and leadership capabilities by participating in professional development opportunities. Keeps informed of new and emerging trends in the finance, logistics and transportation fields by reviewing the latest industry literature (books, trade journals, online articles) and participating in industry associations and events.
- Active member in identifying improvement opportunities, researching solutions and implementing changes to improve processes that enhance capabilities to meet/exceed service standards.
- Implements and manages departmental strategies, internal controls, and policies and procedures to effectively and efficiently process accounts payable transactions.
- Responsible for the successful support and maintenance of the Epicor 9 AP module. This includes process development, trouble shooting, documentation and training. Also responsible for any system project work, such as a purchase order module implementation and online expense reimbursement module.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of supplier invoices in a high volume environment, avoiding interest costs and taking advantage of available discounts for early payment.
- Provides support to managers on accounts payable related questions and issues.
- Carries out month-end procedures, accruals and prepares reconciliations.
- Develops and presents regular management reports concerning accounts payable KPIs.
- Ensures compliance to various provinces’ sales tax rules, HST re-capture, self-assessment, etc.
- Reviews invoices and payments to ensure adherence to corporate accounting policies, including proper authorizations for expenditure limits, coding and accuracy.
- Examines opportunities to maximize working capital and works with treasury and facility managers to execute changes.
- Assists in process improvements such as electronic funds transfer, document imaging, system interface improvements, and lock boxes.
- Participates in other initiatives, projects and duties as assigned.
- 5-7 years’ experience in a progressive management role within Finance.
- Leadership of an accounts payable function in a high volume environment with a focus on customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required; courses related to supervision and business an asset.
- Proven ability to supervise a team in a high-volume environment to ensure accuracy, compliance and a team culture of excellence.
- Approachable, positive demeanor with a hands-on and team-oriented work style.
- Commitment to health and safety in the workplace.
- Driven to provide exceptional customer service.
- Strong interpersonal skills including leadership, conflict resolution and team building abilities.
- Dedicated to continuous improvement.
- Ability to manage and adapt to change.
- Demonstrated success leading organizational change and process improvements and the ability to see one time complex projects through to completion.
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to quickly understand and identify issues and propose solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to build relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and organize work flow to ensure deadlines are met in a fast-paced environment. Able to adapt to shifting priorities.
- Takes initiative, is proactive in their work, and results-oriented.
- Strong working knowledge of the rules and regulations surrounding the various sales taxes in Canada and rules of self-assessment.
- Strong technical skills including advanced Excel; experience with Epicor and financial system implementations an asset.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Please note, while we appreciate all applications only qualified candidates will be contacted.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to:
Accounts Payable Manager
Accounts Payable Manager