SFU Varsity Athletics Event Staff
Simon Fraser University
Simon Fraser University Athletics & Recreation Employment Opportunity
Varsity Event Staff are responsible for ensuring the professional execution of varsity sporting events including football, volleyball, basketball, soccer and softball. This position holds a wide range of responsibilities of varying complexity and importance including: box office management, guest services, merchandise sales, ticket taking, ushering, facility set-up and acting as a minor sporting official.
Event Staff are a mandatory part of the delivery of all NCAA Div. 2 competitions, providing exceptional customer service to all attendees of SFU Varsity events.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure the efficient and compliant execution of all varsity competition as per conference and NCAA sporting regulations
- Execute sales roles such as ticket sales, ticket taking, merchandise sales, ushering and security.
- Perform sport-specific roles imperative to successful event delivery including 3-ball attendant in volleyball, field of play maintenance in basketball, sub liaison in soccer and ball chaser in softball.
- Provide exceptional customer support to a varied demographic of fans, coaches and athletes, adapting tone and communication-style to each user group.
- Assist with the set up and tear down of all varsity event venues including preparation of front-of-house spaces, field of play and all spectator areas
- Contribute to the in-game atmosphere through fan engagement including greeting and surveying fans and wayfinding
- Ensure the safety and security of spectators as well as the field of play in order to execute a professionally-run event
- Uphold and enforce SFU Varsity Athletics Code of Conduct
- Work closely with members of the Table Tech Staff to ensure game timing is maintained
- Attendance at mandatory staff meetings/perform other duties as required
Ideal candidates for the position should have a passion for customer service and sport. Those that are hard-working individuals, able to work independently, and multitask with a high degree of accuracy are likely to excel. Candidates will also be a great fit if they are natural leaders, self-initiated problem solvers, able to work well under pressure and time constraints and have a sports minded background.
- Experience and familiarity with Simon Fraser University and/or the NCAA
- Previous experience with sport preferred
- Customer service experience an asset
- Able to work primarily Thursday and Saturday evenings // occasional Tuesday, Friday evening
- First Aid certification an asset
Reports directly to the Event Coordinator in the Department of Athletics & Recreation. Works in cooperation with the Events Programmer and other varsity event and departmental staff.
$12.65/hr (inclusive of benefits).
Free locker, free group fitness pass and 50% of select recreation programs.
Positions to fill: ~40