1st Cook - Full Time
Mississaugua Golf and Country Club
We are one of Canada’s top private all-season golf clubs, with a diverse membership of 1,400 members and an outstanding Tier One golf course famous for its excellence. The Club has played host to numerous premier events, including six Canadian Opens.
Founded in 1906, MG&CC is a year-round private club that offers golf, curling and tennis, dining and social amenities. Our Tudor Clubhouse is a spectacular venue for casual and fine dining, banquets, weddings and various social events and functions.
Responsible for the daily execution of A la carte and or banquet service(s), while ensuring all recipes, food preparation techniques and presentation meet MG&CC’s high standards and commitment to quality. This incumbent must maintain a high standard of safe food handling, hygiene and sanitation practices.
- Execute proper production of roasts, sauces, stocks, vegetable, pastas, farinaceous products (grains, cereals and rice), dessert items and required meat butchering
- Prepare cold and hot meals including menu items and banquet/event orders for restaurant, event/function and banquet dining
- Must have full knowledge of the weekly Banquet Event Orders (BEOs) in order to organize work schedules and delegate tasks accordingly
- Be aware of all BEOs or members with special requirements which note food allergy concerns and respectively prepare foods to meet specific needs
- Must be familiar with all menu items, ingredient and methods of preparation and follow the recipe specifications as instructed by the Executive Chef or Sous Chef(s)
- On a daily basis, ensure food quality and staff below are adhering to recipe guidelines, preparing dishes to specification and in a high quality and time-efficient manner
- Follow plating guidelines as described in the Menu information Sheets
- Cook in various locations within the Club
- Provide input on menu design and content, including daily specials
- Control food costs by following proper storage procedures, standardized recipes and waste control procedures- always use FIFO system
- Receive products and ensure that items and price are accurate and properly store the Items in their required places
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the kitchen area, freezer/fridges, kitchen equipment, counters and storage areas
- Follow all Health & Safety policies and procedures and sanitation standards
- Perform other duties and tasks as instructed by the Executive Chef or their designate
- 4+ years’ experience leading an upscale restaurant service line
- Red Seal Certification is an asset, completion of a proper apprenticeship is preferred
- Experience with menu development i.e. daily specials
- Coaching skills with experience training and supervising team members
- Experience in a private Club environment a definite asset
- Food Safe Certification
- Experience in banquet, a-la-carte and catering environments
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 13 hours)
- Must be able to follow printed recipes and plate specifications
- Experience in a fast-paced, upscale restaurant
- Banquet experience is an asset
- Strong work ethic, ability to establish work priorities, train and motivate coworkers
- Working knowledge and training on all health & safety standards and sanitation standards i.e. Food Safe, WHMIS, Health and Safety Policies, food-handling techniques
- Highly organized with a strong focus and commitment to quality
- Contribute to a positive work environment and demonstrate a positive attitude
- Excellent culinary tastes and artistic flair for creating unique recipes and appealing dish presentation
- Work in an efficient manner while managing multiple tasks and priorities
- Consultative skills for identifying and communicating continuous improvement opportunities
- Flexibility to adapt to changing demands
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Ability to build and maintain excellent relationships with diverse people, including kitchen and dining staff
- Ability to respond quickly to issues and make effective decisions under pressure
1725 Mississauga Rd. (Mississauga Rd. & QEW)
NOTE: MG&CC is not on a bus route. You must have reliable transportation.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we would like to thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that we will only be contacting the candidates under consideration.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Mississaugua Golf and Country Club will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
1st Cook/ Line Cook