Delta , BC
Located on beautiful farmland in Delta, BC, our head “office” is an amazing renovated farm house with scenic views of our lush gardens and fields. We care about each other and what we do, and are looking for an experienced HR/Payroll Manager who shares our vision.
The successful candidate will be a positive and confident individual who possesses strong interpersonal skills. Your strengths will lie in your ability to genuinely engage with our team while demonstrating our core values and contributing positively to the organizational culture.
West Coast Seeds believes, first and foremost, in the principles of organic growing and sustainable agriculture. Namely, we feel that food and all plants can be grown without the use of synthetic chemicals and that the seeds we supply are an important component within the broader approach to organic gardening. We support growers as custodians of the land they grow on — however large or small — and through adopting organic gardening techniques such as composting, companion planting and planting pollinator friendly plants, we help repair the world by nourishing the soil, and ourselves.
Founded in 1983, West Coast Seeds’ purpose was to source and supply seeds of a higher quality than had been available to home gardeners. Following the traditions of organic farming and gardening, the focus was on offering untreated seeds suitable for organic growing. Today we offer over 1,000 varieties of untreated, non-GMO, open pollinated and hybrid vegetable, herb and flower seeds, as well as a wide range of unique bird feeders and quality gardening supplies.
- Initiate, implement and support employee performance in line with company values and goals;
- Full cycle recruiting responsibilities and scheduling of seasonal workers;
- Manage the onboarding and termination processes;
- Review and administer benefit programs, WCB, and staff training;
- Claims and disability management when required;
- Maintain and administer confidential HR files;
- Create, update and maintain Employee HR manual, policies and procedures;
- Monitor salary and wage budget to actual and partner with department heads to schedule seasonal and permanent staff;
- Provide HR guidance to department managers in B.C. and Ontario including policies for employment standards, privacy, human rights, employee safety and related regulatory compliance.
- Oversee the collection and review of timesheets, vacation accruals, overtime and absences and maintain detailed employee records of this information in a timely and accurate manner;
- Process bi-weekly payroll using PayWorks software for salary and hourly employees including setting up new hires, processing terminations, preparing ROEs and T4s as well as calculating taxable benefits;
- Provide timely/accurate payroll information to accounting for review and posting;
- Maintain Payroll KPI’s in conjunction with the Director of Finance;
- Respond to internal and external payroll enquiries in a timely fashion.
- Lead Health and Safety Committee by scheduling and directing monthly meetings, ensuring compliance with applicable WorkSafe and WSIB mandates and monitoring employee safety training;
- Foster a culture of mutual support by assisting fellow employees and departments during high volume periods as needed.
Attributes and Skills:
- Uncompromising degree of professionalism, integrity, maturity and confidentiality;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong work ethic and problem-solving abilities;
- Highly organized, good time management and strong attention to detail with an emphasis on accuracy and meeting timelines;
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong computer skills (Payroll software and MS office);
- Experience working in a customer-service driven environment;
- 3 to 5 years Human Resources & Payroll experience with relevant courses/training (Experience with PayWorks or similar would be an asset);
- Strong sense of community mindedness.
- Each employee has an opportunity to receive a raised bed in the staff garden to grow their own vegetables, flowers and herbs
- The opportunity to participate in numerous trade shows, community & educational events promoting organic growers & supporting gardeners
- Take home fresh produce harvested on-site from our trial and demonstration gardens
- Participate in a culture of charitable giving, where we support numerous charities both financially and through seed donations, and donate upwards of 6,000 lbs. of fresh produce annually
- Join our Cooking Club in making delicious meals using our on-site fresh grown produce