Atlas Coal Mine National Historic Site
East Coulee, AB
We are well known for our amazing school programs. Education Officers make a field trip to the Atlas Coal Mine fun, fascinating, and memorable for our school groups, youth groups, summer fun groups, and the visiting public. Education Officers (EOs) make sure all guests are welcomed, informed, looked after, and inspired during their visit. Education Officers spend lots of time outdoors, walking and climbing, and in historic buildings without modern amenities. EOs are responsible for the delivery and development of high quality group programming for school groups and adults offered by the Atlas Coal Mine.
The focus of this role is delivering educational programmes, followed by front desk duties, and rounded out by programme development time.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Delivering educational programs and tours always considering different learning styles, group management and risk management
- Develop, maintain and evaluate educational programming for elementary, secondary and post-secondary school groups and visiting summer youth programs
- Assist with visitor services including welcoming visitors, working in the gift shop and cleaning chores as required
- Operating mechanical equipment which includes our battery powered, mantrip locomotive
Qualities - You:
- Make connections with people of all ages as you bring the stories of the Atlas and Drumheller mining communities to life.
- Possess high energy, initiative, and delight in working with people.
- Are passionate about delivering quality educational programming.
- Have outstanding communication skills.
- Are a fantastic problem solver.
- Energize others – lead by example and celebrate accomplishments.
- Experience in working on educational programs for children, youth and/or adults.
- Experience in delivering programs to children
- Experience in customer service
- Knowledge of Alberta Ministry of Education curriculum an asset
- Intend to return to post secondary education in the fall
- Holding a current valid driving licence
- Current standard first aid certificate
Must have at least one year post secondary education, and plan to return to school in the fall. Background in history, education, geography, ecotourism, engineering, or performing arts an asset. First-aid an asset. A valid driver’s licence a must. A car is an asset as we’re located 15 minutes east of Drumheller.
Job Term: April 30th - Sept 3rd, 2018
Wage: $16.50 / hour
Shortlist for: Elementary School Principal
Regional Liaison Officer (Internship) – Campus Engagement (CE) – West/Prairies
Associate Technical Officer