Peer Support - Case Management Community
Helping Ourselves Through Peer Support & Employmen
Position: Contract (3 months, possibly longer (TBD))
Base Location: CMHA Brantford Office
Start Date: March 12th, 2018
Purpose of the Position:
The Peers in the case management program are “seconded” to CMHA and work from the CMHA office.
A Peer Specialist is a trained individual who has their own lived experience of having a mental health issue/s and/or substance use/addiction issues.
The role provides community based support towards recovery for consumers and provide activities, support and linkages that help to improve consumers’ quality of life and ability to cope with daily stressors and empowers the person to make choices related to their life on a day-to-day basis, based on self-determination.
In general, this position is expected to support a minimum caseload of 18- 20 individuals. The Peer Support worker will work closely with case managers and be supported and supervised by the program manager.
Duties include to:
- serve as a consumer advocate
- use and teach problem solving techniques with individuals and groups
- teach consumers how to identify and combat negative self-talk
- teach consumers how to identify and overcome fears
- support the choices that consumers make and assist them in overcoming related anxiety
- assist consumers in building social skills in the community
- teach and role model the value of every individual’s recovery experience
- provide support and encouragement to consumers, and their family members when it is the choice of the individual to do so
- assist consumers to obtain decent and affordable housing
- model effective coping techniques and self-help strategies
- assist consumers to obtain services that suit that individual’s recovery needs
Social Service Worker Diploma Preferred
- Personal (lived) experience with mental health or addictions and recovery required.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- A current police records check is required.
- Current Driver’s license and reliable vehicle is necessary.
- Peer Support work experience in a mental health service environment is preferred.
Additional Preferences & Qualifications:
- Mental Health First Aid Training and or ASIST
- Ability to engage in effective peer relationships with individuals
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of services in Brantford and Brant Counties
- Effective working relationships with hospital and community care givers
- First aid training and/or CPR training
- Knowledge of local community programs
- Strong organizational and computer skills; preferred experience in Client Data Systems (EMH-Ware), Microsoft Office
- A current police records check and access to reliable transportation on a daily basis is required.
Thank you for your interest in this position. CMHA reserves the right to contact.
Only those applicants who shall be offered an interview.
Wage Rate: 2017-2018, $18.54 to $19.51 depending on qualifications
Wage Rate: $19.57 to $20.54 (2018-2019) depending on qualifications
Vendor Manager III
International Law Research Program's Doctoral Scholarship Competition for the 2018-2019 Academic Year
Director of Client Services