User Research Manager
Game and Level Design
DATE: Feb 21st, 2018
You're an experienced User Researcher? You like working on all sorts of games, but you'd also like to work close to a user-driven production team to have a meaningful impact? You understand the design questions associated with mobile gaming and free-to-play? You're interested in finding the answers?
The Mobile division of Ubisoft is looking to expand it's research activities with the User Research Lab in Halifax Canada. You will collaborate with the production team on very exciting projects. You will work on a large variety of other projects with teams from different studios around the world to help them improve the user experience of their games. Last but not least, you will collaborate with other user research teams within Ubisoft and get access to their knowledge and tools.
The role of all User Research professionals is to provide the development teams with a better understanding of player’s behavior through user research studies and analytics. From pre-to post-launch, they deliver actionable insights that will enable the production teams to improve the overall player’s experience.
- Deploying and developing tools & technology necessary for playtestin
Oversees, optimizes and supports the organization of playtest to maximize its efficiency and quality
- Managed the planning and the available resources
- Lead, coaches, develops, manages the research team
- Lead in an environment in constant evolution
- Developing relationships with key persons in other studios, in order to facilitate scheduling of future playtests at Ubisoft Halifax
- Developing relationships with key persons in Ubisoft Halifax so that the UR lab can best support the needs of mobile games being developed here in Halifax
- Develop knowledge in recruitment techniques and tools to recruit the adapted tester profiles
- Act with the consumer and the market in mind
- Be efficient and determined to achieve your objectives
- Overseeing costs, billing and resources associated with playtests
- Collaborating with stakeholders to understand goals and research requirements of the playtest
- Supporting the organization of the playtest to maximize its efficiency and quality
- Overseeing analysis of playtest results and developed reports (to understand player behavior and identify potential improvements), including performing the role as analyst, as required
- Making sure playtest reports get completed and communicated in a timely manner to the correct stakeholders (with impactful recommendations grounded in data)
Profile / Requirements
- Graduate degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, User Research, Human Factors or other related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar position or other relevant experience.
- Strong communication skills – including the ability to present results to stakeholders in various levels of the organization and being able to work well in a team structure
- Analytical and synthesis skills
- Proactivity when formulating research questions
- Organization skills and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to innovate and determine strategies when sending out reports, graphics and representations of statistical data
- Able to analyze and deconstruct games of different genres to understand their respective facets
- Knowledge of the video game industry and a passion for games
- Knowledge of mobile and free-to-play games market and design trends
- Strong research and experimental design background, including knowledge of various quantitative and qualitative analysis methods
- Working knowledge of statistics
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office
- Preferred: SQL
- Preferred: Tableau
- Strong skills with the MS Office suite of tools: Word, Excel, and Project
- Fluent English
What can we offer you?
- Competitive salary scale
- Additional paid time off over the Christmas holidays
- Affordable Gym membership
- Comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision care.
- Flexible Work Hours to provide a healthy work/life balance
- Summer months bring ‘Summer Fridays’
- And an international and diverse team
Ubisoft Halifax is the newest Ubisoft Studio to take on the growing Mobile Game Market. As Ubisoft first exclusively Mobile studio, our focus is on originality and functionality. Creating new projects and developing Flagship Ubisoft IP’s. Our position on the tip of the East Coast is strategic in terms of studio efficiency (closest to European and American Time zones), and creativity (biggest game hub east of Montreal).
Halifax is to Canada, what Boston is to the States; a founding City full of forts, historic building and award winning modern architecture. Being a city with three University’s, Halifax boasts tons of nightlife, world class restaurants, and for the outdoors types; unparalleled yet affordable outdoor adventures.
We are located in the Heart of the City overlooking the boardwalk. Come summer we work a little more each day so we can take Friday Afternoon off.
Manager Product Research and Strategy Development
Study Data Manager (Clinical Research)
Research Ethics Advisor