Senior Rail Project Engineer
199 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario
Full Time Permanent
Job Summary and Purpose:
Reporting to the Manager, Technical Services, the Sr. Rail & Transit Project Engineer will contribute to the engineering of transit and rail construction projects through both direct work product and leading teams in a matrix environment to prepare technical engineering and construction submissions for projects in the bid, planning, design and construction phases.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities:
Detail circuit design of new and modified signals and interlocking for wayside, control centre and rail crossings. Prepare electrical schematics for track circuits, road crossing circuits, relay interlockings, junction boxes, terminal blocks and signal housings. P.Eng sealing of drawings for as-installed conditions. Oversight of supporting railway signalling infrastructure design efforts including Civil, Electrical, Coms, and Gas Piping. Oversight of project system engineering deliverables and requirements management. Manages input from external engineering partners assigned during the bid phase, and oversees the management of external engineering consultants during implementation phase. Monitors, tracks and reports weekly engineering progress. Prepares and reviews various deliverables including product submittals, derogations, RFI?s, and Field Change Notices. Assists the estimating staff in the preparation of take-offs, estimates, and budgets by providing technical reviews of specifications and other bid documents together with construction input. Reviews contract documents and attends pre-bid meetings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimates ? technical content focus. Assists with the identification of required engineering resource requirements, internal and external. Maintains robust engineering / technical submission processes & procedures. Assist PNR testing and commissioning activities in the preparation of test plans, overseeing field activities, training of junior PNR staff.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides guidance, direction, and support to the Field Engineers / Project Coordinators for project controls and the resolution of difficult and complex technical problems.
- Assists with the hiring and training of Field Engineers / Project Coordinators.
Contributes to the development of strategies for the effective management of PNR project engineering processes and procedures.
Education, Training & Experience:
- University degree in Engineering
- English Speaking
- Must have a minimum of 10 years project engineering experience relating to conventional resignalling projects on complex commuter rail networks in brownfield installations.
- Comprehensive Knowledge of signalling using AREMA, CROR, FRA, CENELEC, IEEE and MIL.
- Proficient in wayside signaling including ABS, CTC and Interlocking, both relay logic and Boolean or ladder logic.
- Familiarity with local railway operators (Metrolinx,TTC, CN, CP, VIA).
- Experience in supporting construction activities, on-site experience required.
- Knowledge of the full project lifecycle; bidding/proposals, engineering, pre-construction, construction, testing and commissioning.
- Proficiency in project controls principles (schedule, document control)
- Thorough understanding of RFP and contract requirements.
- Ability to effectively train, manage and lead junior staff.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience using common software and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works indoors and onsite/outdoor.
- Frequently sits, stands, walks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard.
- May be exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
- Travel up to 25% of time.
- Will work at various sites across Ontario
Benefits offered include:
- Medical & Dental Benefits
- Pension Plan
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
Senior Railway Engineer / Project Engineer
Senior Project Analyst, Rail Systems
Senior Rail & Transit Project Engineer
Senior Rail & Transit Project Engineer