Alex Ferguson Law Office
Carleton Place, ON
Recently, our business has been expanding and, in order to manage the great influx of clientele that we are experiencing, we are looking for someone to fill the permanent position of Legal Technician.
The ideal candidate must at least have:
- A Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.);
- Experience with online legal programs, e.g. PCLaw, WillBuilder, EstateBase and Dirvorce Mate;
- Minimum of two years experience in the legal field;
- Ease in communicating with a diverse clientele;
- A fundamental understanding of Family Law and Criminal Law; and
- Strong knowledge of Business Law and Corporate Law.
The candidate will be asked to:
- Draft documents and correspondence through the above-mentioned legal programs;
- Perform general clerical and office duties;
- Assemble documentary evidence, prepare trial briefs, and arrange for trials;
- Assist in mediation and dispute resolutions;
- File and serve court documents;
- Prepare wills, testaments, real estate transactions and power of attorneys;
- Complete legal research;
- Interview clients, witnesses and any other parties;
- Follow various instructions from Mr. Ferguson;
- Be involved in the drafting and approval of business forms and Small Claims litigation.
The candidate who will be chosen for the job is expected to work Monday to Friday from 9:00AM – 5:00PM; however, the candidate may be asked to work outside normal hours, subject to overtime pay. The candidate will communicate in English, but applicants who speak both official languages will be favoured. The chosen candidate will be compensated at an hourly rate of $30, while also benefiting from the employees’ group RRSP.
This is not a position for an independent paralegal, a notary public, patent agent, articling student, legal administrative assistant or trademark or patent agent. The chosen candidate will never be asked to represent a client before any tribunal, give legal advice, take legal action, administer oaths, take affidavits or depositions, or witness or certify any document.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to:
INVENTORY: Records Management Technician
Trent-Severn Waterway - Administration, Environmental & Visitor Experience - Student Recruitment
Tech Team Lead Controls