Bilingual (English/French) Translator
Any, Multiple Canadian Locations
Description of Work: Bilingual (English/French) Translator
The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA) is currently looking for a Bilingual (English/French) Translator who will be responsible for providing French translation (writing, editing, proofreading) for the BC Pet Registry website (bcpetregistry.ca) and related documents (pdfs, online forms, and registration agreements).
The successful candidate will work within the parameters set by the contract with the Operations department to create French content to better serve pet guardians across the country.
The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA) is one of the largest animal welfare organizations of its kind in North America, operating on behalf of the province’s most vulnerable animals for more than 120 years.
The BC SPCA assists more than 42,970 animals in need every year and are funded by compassionate animal lovers who support our work and partner with us to protect and enhance the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in B.C. We provide life-saving services at over 44 locations across the province.
The BC Pet Registry (bcpetregistry.ca), an initiative of the BC SPCA, was created in 2015 with the sole goal of reuniting lost or missing pets with their guardians. All of the proceeds from our BC Pet Registry program fund the life-saving work performed every year at the BC SPCA. The online permanent identification (ID) registry is the only non-profit microchip and tattoo registry in Canada and provides 24/7 coverage to pet owners internationally.
To learn more, please visit us at: www.spca.bc.ca OR www.bcpetregistry.ca
- Translation of BC Pet Registry web content (English to French), while ensuring accuracy of French translation (consistency in terminology, etc.)
- Translation and editing of related documents as required (ex. forms, PDFs, and graphics)
- Ensuring website content and layout/graphics of the French language version of the BC Pet Registry site mirror the English language version of the site
- Must be fluent in both English and French (oral and written)
- University degree in linguistics/translation or equivalent
- 2 to 5 years of English/French translation experience preferred
- Ability to translate English to French, and French to English, in both long and short form documents (i.e., articles, blog posts) for professional and other consumers
- Excellent organization skills required
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work with limited to no supervision
- Ability to work independently and access technology to complete necessary check-ins
- Knowledge/passion for animal welfare and pets would be considered an asset
- As this is an independent contract position, the contractor will determine the hours, with mutually agreed-upon weekly check-ins scheduled with the BC SPCA
Location: Contractor may be located anywhere in Canada; as this is an independent contract, no office space or equipment will be provided by the BC SPCA. Weekly check-ins will take place via Skype, Email, or telephone.