O'Brien Lifting Solutions Inc.
Burlington , ON
We are a manufacturer of overhead cranes, jib cranes, workstation cranes, gantry cranes and a supplier of commercial doors and loading dock equipment, serving the industry for over 50 years.
We are currently seeking a resourceful, self-motivated individual to join our Engineering Department as a Designer.
The Designer is responsible for designing and detailing concepts according to the customer’s specifications at the same time adhering to strict safety standards. Assisting all levels of engineering with tasks and assignments is also a key function. The Designer will apply their knowledge of material science to recommend engineering and manufacturing changes in order to obtain the most economical manner possible.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Answer engineering questions pertaining to overhead cranes
- Customize crane concepts and products as required and apply them to specialized inquires
- Design and detail equipment for overhead cranes, box girders, jib cranes, workstation cranes and gantry cranes
- Utilize Auto CAD, Solidworks, Microsoft Office applications and other various programs for engineering purposes
- Perform calculations by hand for verification when required
- Exercise a general knowledge of mechanical and structural engineering principles daily
- Strength in mathematics and general conversion of units of mass and measurements
- Problem solving and design concepts
- Prepare material requisition lists for purchasing
- To remain constantly aware of targets and progress of projects being worked on and communication with colleagues and Engineering Manager in regards to delays or changes to work progress
- Complete projects within tight deadlines
- Communicate with various departments for verification of products
- Communicate with customer regarding design of equipment
- Prepare bills of material
- Approval of components from suppliers
- Cross check drawing and data sheets from suppliers
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduate of a Mechanical Engineering Technologist program and or Bachelor of Engineering Mechanical or Structural
- 4-5 Years working experience in a manufacturing and engineering environment specializing in Overhead crane design experience or other related material handling equipment
- Strong knowledge of general office procedures involving record keeping, filing and organizational skills
- Strong mathematical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Auto CAD
- High competency with using SolidWorks
- Fast paced environment- must be able to work well under pressure
- Strong oral and written English language skills
- Ability to carry our instructions in written, verbal or diagram form
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent time management and project management skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Proficient in interpreting mechanical drawings
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and an exceptional opportunity for career development and growth.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to:
Mechanical Summer Engineering Intern