Social Enterprise Catering Supervisor
Christie Ossington Neighbourhood Centre
Christie Ossington Neighbourhood Centre’s (CONC) LOFT Kitchen is a Youth-Focused Social Enterprise delivering high quality catering services while training local youth and adults in the food and hospitality industries. LOFT Kitchen also provides hundreds of healthy, delicious meals for community members daily through our Men’s Shelter & Transitional Housing Programs, Drop-in Program, and other agency programs as required.
This role will be primarily responsible for running all aspects of LOFT Kitchen catering- catering promotion (in collaboration with the LOFT Kitchen Manager), setting menus, communicating with clients including invoicing and payment follow-up, shopping/ordering, demonstrating costs and catering revenue, cooking, supervising trainees, deliveries and pick-ups. The Social Enterprise Catering Supervisor will also provide culinary instruction and supervision to trainees.
This position will work in close collaboration with Community Food Supervisors (2), The LOFT Kitchen Manager, and others to ensure successful food provision occurs alongside meaningful training and engagement with community members.
This is a full-time position which will require frequent evening and weekend work. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
- Leads the development of catering menus that are suitable for the size and scope of LOFT Kitchen catering operations
- Promotes LOFT Kitchen catering to previous and new clientele, in collaboration with LOFT Kitchen Manager, and supports the development of on-going catering arrangements.
- Shops and orders food and supplies as needed to fulfill catering orders while controlling costs and inventory
- Prepares/cooks all catering orders, and coordinates the assistance of trainees and relief staff as appropriate.
- Coordinates delivery of catering orders and pick-up of dishes, etc as applicable, with CONC vehicle.
- Calculates/demonstrates costs and revenues related to catering for internal reporting.
- Communicates with catering clients to finalize orders, provide invoices, follow-up on payment and gauge client satisfaction
- Teaches, trains and supervises trainees and volunteers in the kitchen, as well as through formal classroom instruction when necessary, to encourage culinary skill development and increase employability for youth and other vulnerable community members.
- Works with Community Food Supervisors to maintain safe, clean and efficient kitchen operations, including collaborating on cleaning duties/schedules, maintenance calls, equipment upkeep and purchasing, inventory management and general organization.
- Supports the planning and implementation of revenue generating events including specialty dinners and other special events for which catering is required.
- Supports the promotion of LOFT Kitchen Social Enterprise within various sectors, articulates the unique benefits and challenges of the social enterprise model to all stakeholders, and helps to raise the profile of LOFT Kitchen.
- Works to explore other food-based revenue streams as appropriate.
- Provides leadership for LOFT Kitchen expansion to the new George Chuvalo Community Centre, including overseeing kitchen construction (equipment purchases, installations, small wares purchases, etc.)
- Cooks for CONC Shelters, Transitional Housing and Drop-In Programs when required to fill absences.
- Supplies content and ideas for program grants as applicable.
- Supports cross-departmental collaboration, contributes with enthusiasm to agency initiatives, and embodies the values of CONC as part of our unique communities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience doing large scale catering and high volume cooking
- Minimum 3 years’ baking or pastry experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience menu planning, including accommodating special diets.
- Demonstrated understanding of business management including budget management, purchasing strategies, inventory management, costing and revenue calculations, excellent customer service and communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to promote a business and generate new clients/contracts
- Demonstrated ability to provide supervision, leadership and guidance to youth and others who are developing their skills and confidence in the food and hospitality industries
- Minimum 2 years’ experience leading safe, clean and efficient kitchen operations
- Minimum 2 years in a supervisory role
- Must be able to lift 50lbs and be on your feet for 7.5 hours/day. This is a physically demanding role.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and valid Food Handler’s Certification
- Excellent attendance record, adaptability, reliability and a strong work ethic.
- Solid understanding of the nutritional needs of community members who are homeless or living in poverty is an asset.
- Passion for supporting vulnerable people to improve their life circumstances is a must.
Note: The successful candidate must obtain a clear criminal reference check.