Calgary Laboratory Services
Temporary Patient Service Centre
Competition No.: 17-222
Position: Clinical Supervisor
Position Code: 703112
Status: 1.0 FTE
Duration: Temporary - 12 Months
Rate Scale (hour): $43.155 to $54.205
Location: PSC (Patient Service Centre)
Bargaining Unit: Exempt - Management/Professional
Department: Community Services
Schedule*: Monday - Friday with on-call support rotation.
Date Posted: September 28, 2017
Closing Date: Open until filled
*Days, hours, location, and shifts are subject to change due to operational needs.
The duration of a temporary position may change due to operational needs.
Reporting to the Clinical Manager, the Clinical Supervisor position is responsible for all leadership aspects of people management and their respective clinical area. In conjunction with the Clinical Manager, the Clinical Supervisor is responsible for engaging and motivating their team, seeking out differing views and perspectives, providing people development support and defining the department’s strategy.
- Leads employees to meet CLS’ expectations for productivity, quality, and safety.
- Provides leadership for workforce planning.
- Provides staff development support by planning, monitoring, and appraising job results through performance appraisals.
- Provides feedback, coaching, counseling and discipline as needed.
- Accepts and uses expertise and input from others, actively listens, participates, and collaborates in a team setting.
- Leads and engages others in change management, sets targets, and delivers clear and consistent messages.
- Maintains quality service by analyzing quality standards, resolving quality issues, identifying trends and recommending system improvements in alignment with the Quality Management System and Process Excellence objectives.
- Maintains an organizational perspective while simultaneously managing day to day operations.
- Partners with Corporate Services and other stakeholders as appropriate for consulting/planning purposes, and strategic initiatives.
- Manages operational, budgetary and financial responsibilities of the department.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of objectives, policies, procedures or protocols and communicates pertinent information to staff.
- Oversees Accreditation activities to meet legislative and laboratory standard requirements.
- Assists in the selection of and coordinates the implementation of new tests, methods and instrumentation all while ensuring compliance with required legislative standards.
- In the absence of the Clinical Manager, assumes the responsibilities of that role.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Accepts the professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to patients, staff and the business of CLS.
- Demonstrates Professionalism, Respect/Caring, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence (PRIDE) in the work environment and creates a workplace culture that is consistent with CLS’ mission, vision and PRIDE values.
- Minimum three years’ experience in a supervisory or leadership role.
- Relevant experience in the healthcare sector.
- Proven ability to achieve goals by overcoming difficult obstacles, identifying and following through on solutions.
- Demonstrated understanding of organizational strategies, ability to frame strategic questions and develop action plans.
- Ability to actively engage a team to develop plans and resolve issues with collaborative problem solving.
- Established ability to build and maintain professional relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely to explain information in a well thought out, logical and effective manner.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to complete tasks accurately within a varied, dynamic and multi-tasked environment.
- Highly motivated and capable of seeing projects through from beginning to end.
- May be required to possess a driver’s license and car to conduct business at any CLS site.
- Criminal Record Check, with a Vulnerable Sector Search, satisfactory to CLS valid within the last three months.
- MLA experience.
- Leadership, conflict resolution and/or change management degree/certificate.
- Experience in a unionized environment.
- Intermediate LIS and Microsoft computer skills.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects weighing more than 20 lbs. (without the assistance of mobile, powered equipment) is occasional.
- Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is occasionally required (i.e., between 5% and 25% of time on the job).
- The work position most commonly assumed by the person performing this job is unrestricted in terms of freedom to move about at will.
- Physical work pace and/or exertion are typical of most office work, and not a critical component in this job.
Working Conditions - Mental Stress
- The work has high volume associated with it, and priorities that are constantly changing.
- The job requires working a number of evenings and/or weekends every month (in addition to the normal workweek, and without additional compensation).
- The need to work overtime or to be called in before scheduled hours of work often cannot be anticipated.
- There is continual exposure to interruptions.
If you are a current CLS employee, visit “Internal Applicants - Apply Now”.
Quote Job Reference: 17-222
Research Assistant, Family Medicine
Housing and Support Logistics Coordinator