Research Associate, Oncology, Cumming School of Medicine
University of Calgary
The Department of Oncology in the Cumming School of Medicine invites applications for a Research Associate. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 6 months (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
Reports to the Principal Investigator.
This role requires experience in a highly specialized field of psycho-sexuality, as well as excellent research skills in methodology, statistical analysis and scientific writing.
Will oversee and maintain follow-up with participants after enrollment, create and maintain the study dataset, perform skilled statistical analysis of a longitudinal outcome data for the project, synthesize research findings and assist with manuscript preparation for publication of study results in high quality medical journals, and contribute to the supervision of junior learners in the lab environment on related projects.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Determine risk and protective factors relating to sexual outcomes for men who have undergone a biopsy for prostate cancer
- Study coordination, recruitment and follow-up with participants, and continue data collection, as well as maintain ongoing connection with collaborating study sites in North America.
- Given the highly sensitive nature of the project, experience and comfort in introducing sexuality as a topic of importance to potential participants is imperative
- Create, maintain and clean the study database and conduct the statistical analysis for the project
- require competence with the following statistical analyses approaches longitudinal analysis, multilevel models, structural equation models, dyadic analysis, psychometric analysis
- Presentation of findings at academic conferences for both medical and also in psychology audiences
- Dissemination will include manuscript preparation and submission to high quality academic/medical journals in the field
- Supervision of junior researchers (summer students, undergraduate students or research assistants) who will assist with data entry, systematic literature review and conduct related projects
- Collaborate and build relationships with health care professionals and researchers of different disciplines through collaborating sites in the US and Canada
Qualifications / Requirements:
- PhD in Psychology required
- Completion of a minimum 2 year post-doctoral fellowship in sexuality research required
- Minimum 2 additional years of post-fellowship experience in health-related sexuality research required
- Experience coordinating/leading research studies which combine the specialties of sexual health and chronic health populations required
- 5 first authored publications in the area of sexuality, at least 3 of them in the area of psychometrics and sexuality assessment related scales or validation or the application of sexual health to an acute health population
- Experience presenting papers at sexuality and oncology academic conferences
- Experience with successful publication in the leading journals in sexual medicine required
- Experience and competence with:
- Multivariate and univariate statistical analyses
- Various statistical software including: SPSS, R, Mplus, LISREL, HLM, and SAS/STAT
- Expert knowledge of psychometrics, including scale construction, validation and scoring of sexuality related measures, and advanced psychometric analyses
- Experience developing and managing online surveys, and using survey software
- Experience conducting qualitative research (focus groups, qualitative interviews) and qualitative analyses (Thematic analysis)
- Knowledge of qualitative analysis software, such as Nvivo
- Experience applying for grant funding
- Experience applying for and maintaining research ethics board approvals
- Experience conducting systematic literature reviews
- Experience supervising students at the undergraduate and graduate level
Application Deadline: October 10, 2017
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In this connection, at the time of your application, please answer the following question: are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No).
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
To Apply, please visit the University of Calgary’s career opportunities page;
http://careers.ucalgary.ca/ Job Opening ID #13734
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase I. (Salary range $24.15 - $35.13/hour)
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Cumming School of Medicine visit Careers in the Cumming School of Medicine
Business address: 2500 University Dr NW, Calgary AB T2N 1N4
Contact information: hrhire @ ucalgary.ca
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to:
Quote Job Reference: 13734