Coherent Optical System Design Engineer
Job Title: Coherent Optical System Design Engineer
Terms of employment: Permanent, Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: CAD $ 95,500.00 to 105,000.00 (Plus discretionary bonus)
Benefits: Disability insurance, dental insurance, pension, extended medical insurance and other company benefits
Language : English
Imagine being part of a team that is fundamentally changing the way people communicate, the way they collaborate, the way they watch TV and explore the universe through the internet. Utilizing our uniquely differentiated technology, we have created an Intelligent Transport Network with more speed, capacity and scalability than ever before. Imagine a world with unlimited bandwidth. The network of tomorrow will allow for content and creativity limited only by the imaginations of its users. If this is something that interests you, that excites you, come take a look at a team not bound by large company obstacles and bureaucracy, where an idea today can be set in motion tomorrow. Come take a look at Infinera!
Infinera empowers network operators to scale bandwidth while accelerating service innovation and automating optical network operations. Service providers, cloud operators, governments and enterprises across the globe rely on Infinera Intelligent Transport Networks to create rich end-user experiences based on efficient, high-bandwidth optical networks.
Infinera was founded with the vision of enabling an infinite pool of intelligent bandwidth that the next communications infrastructure is built upon.
Infinera offers an end-to-end portfolio of packet-optical solutions for the long-haul, metro, and cloud. We believe that when our customers win, we win. Meeting customers’ specific deployment needs and providing industry-leading customer support is in our DNA.
Our Ottawa office is growing in both numbers of engineers and scope of their responsibilities. We are expanding our DSP design team to carry multiple projects, and this organization requires high caliber individuals that already understands DSP algorithm design, optical fiber channel models, optical component imperfections, as well as experience with various modulations and coherent detection schemes.
The Optical System Designer will work on Infinera's next generation optical transmission system with our ASIC and Firmware team in Ottawa. This is a great opportunity to utilize your DSP skills on a coherent modem systems development team.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
Because we work on the cutting edge, we need someone who is eager to learn, a creative problem solver, resourceful in getting things to work, and productive working independently or collaboratively.
In your average week, you will:
- Design modern optical coherent modem systems;
- Investigate various methods to improve the capacity and reach of current and next-gen optical transmission systems. For example, coded modulation, constellation shaping, nonlinear compensation, Tx pre-compensation and modem performance enhanced techniques;
- Work closely with the ASIC and firmware teams in Ottawa to develop current and next-gen coherent optical modem ASICs for use various product;
- Get involved in various aspects of coherent modem, e.g., Tx and Rx DSP algorithms to be implemented in firmware and system integration;
- Provide research and knowledge on the impact laser frequency noise in coherent optical transmission links;
- Provide expertise on Equalization Enhanced Phase Noise (EEPN);
- Design frameworks for coherent optical links impaired by EEPN; and
- Validate high performance and low complexity carrier phase recovery algorithms for order modulation formats.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS/ SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- PHD. in Electronic Engineering with solid background in coherent optical communication.
- 1 year of direct working experience with the optical transmission industry.
- Must be familiar with coherent optical modem related to digital signal processing (DSP) techniques, e.g., carrier recovery and equalization.
- Knowing forward error correction (FEC) is an asset.
- Knowing digital communications and digital signal processing (DSP) is essential.
- Understanding of various DSP algorithms (for instance, carrier recovery and cycle slip mitigation) is a must to have.
- In-depth knowledge of laser phase noise and dispersion compensation.
- Proven experience in the are of carrier recovery and control loop design.
- Hands-on optical lab (system testing) experience and familiar with propagation simulations would be an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of the degradation sources inside a coherent receiver.
Our diversity commitment:
Infinera is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled.
NPI Test Engineer
Coherent Optical System Design Engineer
Principal Firmware Engineer
Principal, Systems Design Engineer