University of Calgary
Job ID #13441
The Department of Physiology and Pharmacology in the Cumming School of Medicine invites applications for a Research Associate. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 12 months (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
The Cumming School of Medicine is looking for a highly qualified and motivated individual to support our projects focused on Calcium Channel Trafficking. The successful candidate must have solid hand-on experience the field of Calcium Channels, and demonstrated experience in their post translational modification and sub-cellular trafficking. In addition, the applicant needs to have l as skills in cell culture, immuno-cyto/histochemistry, and microscopy/imaging experience.
The candidate will work in a larger group of trainees and researchers, involved in a broad variety of projects but focused on Calcium Channels.
Reports to the Principal Investigator.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Performs experiments related to Calcium Channel trafficking
- Concentrates in cell culture, as well as immuno-cyto/histochemistry
- Carries out microscopy related tasks in the lab
- Involved in monitoring, planning, and organizing activities of others in the lab
- Assist with plans and designs for specialized applications to meet the needs of operations, research, and services
- Assist with developing reports, tracking expenses, and reconciliation of accounts
- Participate in the design and development of precision equipment and processes
- Recommend changes to methods, procedures, and practices within the lab
- Develops and implements original experiments within the guidelines of the research
- Conduct literature review, surveys, data analysis and interpretation, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
- Perform reliable and safe operation of all laboratory equipment for various users, including stocking of all necessary materials and supplies
- Trains other staff, students, and Faculty in the operation of equipment and laboratory protocols
- Keep laboratory and work area clean and safe
- Establishes and maintains effective, productive relationships with staff, peers, immediate supervisor and senior management and with the campus community
- Manages own time effectively and ensures immediate reports to manager is kept informed of activities, and progress of work
- Demonstrated strong communication, team and customer service skills, and an ability to exercise judgment within established guidelines
- Extensive understanding, continued learning and development of safety codes, standards, and systems related to specialization
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Ph.D. Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuroscience or related fields, required
- Minimum 2 years of technical experience with Calcium Channels, with particular emphasis on post translational modification and subcellular trafficking of L-type calcium channels
- Skills in cell culture, immuno-cyto/histochemistry are required
- Confocol microscopy experience is required
- Hippocampal cell culture experience is required
- Ability to perform detailed design, documentation, and implementation of moderately complex technological systems
- Ability to provide technical support for other team members through advice on technical lab issues
- Knowledge of theory and practical application of technical procedures and techniques
- Must be open to learning and development, and be willing to accept new challenges and assignments
- Understanding of safety codes and standards related to specialization
- Operate and maintain complex technical equipment
- Organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet skills)
- Knowledge of University core business systems is desirable
- Perform highly complex and highly analytical functions
- High level concentration, resourcefulness, and creativity
- Participate in design and development of precision equipment and processes
- Determine own priorities and deadlines
- High impact of error
- Deal effectively with major complex issues
- Recommend changes to methods, procedures, and practices
- Demonstrate strong communication, team and client service skills
- Resourceful, innovative, and creative problem solving
- Conduct and oversee technical procedures
- Latitude to determine a course of action when required
- Work independently and with broad directives with minimal direction
Application Deadline: August 31, 2017
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In this connection, at the time of your application, please answer the following question: are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No).
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase I. (Salary range $24.15 - $35.13/hour)
Business address: 2500 University Dr NW, Calgary AB T2N 1N4
Contact information: hrhire @ ucalgary.ca
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada?s leading next-generation university ? a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation?s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada?s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here.
Quote Job Reference: Job ID #13441
Commercial Real Estate Agent
Student Engagement Advisor, Undergraduate Programs Office, Haskayne School of Business
Student Advisor - Undergraduate Programs, Haskayne School of Business