Controller - Construction industry
MNP Professional and Management Recruitment
On behalf of our client, R.W. (Bob) Wall Ltd., we are searching for a Controller to join their family owned business. Known for leading edge quality and impeccable service, they have received client accolades describing them as the best choice for professional project development and construction on Vancouver Island. Their project portfolio includes the building, sale and lease of commercial, retail and residential properties.
R.W. (Bob) Wall has been in business in the Nanaimo area for over 25 years and, in that time, has garnered Gold Seal Certification for overall project management from the Canadian Construction Association.
Reporting to the Owner, the Controller is responsible for managing and ensuring the integrity of accounting functions in the areas of payroll, cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, financial reporting, financial analysis of new business ventures, processes and efficiencies, as well as all system related functions.
- Manage all day-to-day accounting operations including banking, billing, AR, AP, and GL, transactional accounting, as well as job cost accounting, revenue recognition and reporting
- Strive for continual improvement in accounting and transactional processes. Develop and implement policies to streamline financial accounting procedures
- Prepare timely financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of timely internal and external reporting
- Cash management responsibility including forecasting and reporting, managing disbursements, and assisting in collections
- Develop and document business processes and strengthen internal controls
- Prepare all documentation and work with external accountants on year-end, taxation, and related functions
- Analyze, prepare and review financial statements for new and existing business ventures
- Support and/or lead special projects as required
- Manage client calls and inquiries
Skills & Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education, a CPA designation and a minimum of five years’ experience in accounting and finance
- Excellent understanding of financial management, accounting principles and internal controls specific to a small family owned business
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to communicate financial information and business risks that influence positive change
- Ability to recognize and communicate efficiency opportunities and implement new processes
- Experience working within the construction, project and property management industry is an asset
- Experience performing cost accounting
- Advanced analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with QuickBooks; advanced experience using the Microsoft suite of programs; specifically, Excel
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in wherever required
This role will appeal to a results-oriented, proactive and energetic professional dedicated to adding value and improving the bottom line.