Supervisor of Aquatics
City of Grande Prairie
Grande Prairie, AB
Eastlink Center is driven by a vision to empower people’s lives through fitness and health, making the communities we serve healthier and happier.
We’re not your typical recreation facility. From the moment you step inside our facility, you’ll want to Explore, to Engage and Experience the difference. This is why our mission states, “We are grounded in quality service for the well-being of our community”.
We’re always on the lookout for the best and brightest to join our amazing facility and the City of Grande Prairie.
Currently we are searching for a Supervisor of Aquatics.
The Supervisor of Aquatics participates as a member of the Aquatics & Wellness team and provides leadership to the aquatic program area, ensuring program excellence and the provision of exceptional customer service through relationship building strategies.The main function of this job is to ensure the success of the aquatics department through business plans, programming, staff supervision and budgeting. This is a very complex environment and operates closely with the City’s policies and procedures and the two governing bodies that support aquatics (the Red Cross and the Lifesaving Society). The Aquatics Department operates in a very safety sensitive environment and care must be taken to ensure the safety of our guests and staff. Careful attention must be made when approving both public and staffing schedules to ensure the smooth and safe operation of this department.
- In consultation with the Aquatics Manager the supervisor is responsible for the dynamics of the aquatic services team including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, performance management and disciplinary action in a unionized environment.
- Ensure to manage all training, coaching, guiding, mentoring and the performance and development of staff in the following positions: amenity attendants, shallow water attendants, swim instructors, water aerobics instructors, lifeguards, and coordinators.
- Review organizational structure and staffing requirements.
- Update job descriptions, classifications, duties, responsibilities and performance standards.
- Ensuring staff adhere to OH&S standards.
- Ensuring the Aquatics department is operating within both the CUPE agreement and Alberta Labour Standards.
- Initiate and coordinate business planning for Aquatics
- Manage all operational functions including physical equipment, staffing and technical requirements.
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with aquatic user groups.
- Ensure excellent customer service through program delivery, staff interactions and quality experiences within both the aquatics department as well as the Eastlink Center.
- Promote the aquatics department of Eastlink Centre and Bear Creek pool to be a safe and fun place to visit.
- Oversee the effective operation of up to two facilities and ensure there are no conflicts between facilities and that quality programing occurs.
- Responsibility for Health and Safety management in aquatics.
- Problem solving to find the win-win and go the extra mile for customer service both internal and external.
- Provide Customer First service for internal (City) team members and external (public) customers.
- Oversee the development of aquatics section of Community Connections magazine and other publications on a seasonal basis.
- Ensure staff are qualified to deliver aquatic programs and services
- Research best practice options from other multi use facilities.
- High school plus more than two years of post-secondary education in recreation or business would be an asset.
- Three or more years leadership experience
- Three or more years supervisory experience
- Experience planning and developing budgets
- Experience managing teams
- Exceptional communication skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills, and time management
- Exceptional customer service experience coupled with exceptional public relation skills
- Ability to work with diverse customers and coworkers
- Strategic decision-making, problem solving and analytical skills for the business
- Team player with proven success in relationship building
- First Aid/CPR an asset (but can be acquired on the job)
- Experience working in Aquatics would be an asset
What we offer
You will join the Eastlink Centre team! We thrive on busy activity and great new ideas. If you are ready to make a difference in the community then this is the team you want to be a part of. The Aquatics Supervisor position provides an opportunity to have an impact by contributing to the user experience at the Eastlink Centre. Every day presents new challenges along with occasions to work with different teams within the facility.
The position of an Aquatic’s Supervisor will enable you to work in our state of the art multi-million dollar facility. You will join a team of positive, innovative and creative staff! We thrive on busy activity and great new ideas. If you are ready to make a difference in the community, this is the team for you.
At the City of Grande Prairie, we recognize and value that people have lives outside of work. We offer flexibility with scheduling, have higher than minimum vacation entitlements and comprehensive benefits that not only cover you when you're sick but encourage you to be well. We have wellness events, social activities, community fundraising activities and a supportive work environment where you can grow your career. The City of Grande Prairie is proud to be an Employer of Choice!
Hours of work
Flexibility is essential and evening and/or weekend shifts will be required as the Eastlink Centre is open 7 days a week
$33.60 - $40.89 per hour