Engineering Manager - OBD
General Motors of Canada Company
At General Motors, engineers around the world are developing leading edge technologies that will push the boundaries of the transportation industry. Fast and robust real time diagnostics are a critical enabler for most of the new technologies and features GM is developing. As part of GM Canada’s Embedded Controls and Software team, you will work in a fast paced and agile team environment, leading a team to develop innovative control systems.
We are currently looking for the best and brightest talent from across Canada who have a passion for embedded controls and diagnostics and want to work on the leading edge of automotive technology.
The successful candidate will lead a team of Control and Diagnostic engineers responsible for the development of On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) and Functional Safety compliant diagnostic systems. Cumulative travel requirements of 2 to 4 weeks a year are typical, primarily to Michigan and other locations in the US.
- Provide People and Technical Leadership to a team of Control and Diagnostic engineers specifically within the OBD domain (typical team size: 12-15 engineers)
- Lead an OBD team with primary deliverables of: System Requirements, diagnostic Algorithms, Simulink Models, Test Cases, and Calibrations
- Engage in all aspects of talent development (recruiting, mentorship, career development, progression and succession planning, etc.)
- Ensure the team follows appropriate internal processes and diagnostic design methodologies that are consistent with best practices
- Exemplify corporate values and drive a culture of accountability, innovation, and change.
- Manage the day to day operational needs of the team (budget, travel, etc.)
Required Skills and Experience
- 10+ years experience with an OEM in development of Automotive OBDII systems
- 5+ years experience with an OEM managing a team of automotive OBD Engineers
- Experience and expertise off-board scan tools and SAE J1979
- Knowledge of internal combustion engines and powertrain systems
- Experience with recruiting and talent development (technical mentorship in OBD, career development, progression and succession planning, etc.)
- Ability to travel to the United States and possess valid Canadian driver’s license
- Demonstrated high level of analytical ability to resolve complex problems
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills, and demonstrated success in working with global engineering teams
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, think strategically, and initiate action in support of positive change
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experiences with ISO26262 functional safety development
- Knowledge of J1968.2, and associated regulations
- Detailed knowledge of vehicle architectures, automotive serial data communication, and hardware/software interfaces
What Makes Us Attractive?
General Motors is reinventing itself as a company. We are driving forward, accelerating change, and opening the door to new thinking and advanced technology. Our vision is to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. General Motors of Canada strives for an open, interactive, and dynamic work environment that promotes a rapid exchange of ideas and information. Our employees represent a true cross-section of cultures, demographics, and lifestyles, which help General Motors to succeed worldwide. General Motors of Canada is continually looking for qualified candidates who have the ideas and ambition to drive GM forward as a faster moving, more agile, highly innovative developer, manufacturer, and marketer of automotive components and vehicles.
When you join one of the largest organizations in the world, you can expect a rewarding experience and benefits on a similar scale. This includes:
- Everything you need to develop your skills and realize your career goals.
- An environment which encourages a balance between work and personal life.
- A culture where collaboration and team work is fostered.
- A competitive total compensation package.
- A comprehensive benefit and retirement savings program to protect you and your family.
- The resources and support you need for your health and well-being.
- A company that is committed to supporting organizations and programs focused on safety, STEM education, community development, and environment & energy.