Assistant Aquatics Supervisor
Columbus Centre of Toronto
Villa Charities is a leading non-profit organization that launched its first project in 1971 and has grown into multi-discipline programming designed to meet the needs of an ever-growing Italian-Canadian and multicultural community in the Greater Toronto Area.
Columbus Centre opened in 1980 and is a key member of the Villa Charities family delivering recreational, educational, cultural, performing & visual arts and social programming in a 180,000 square foot facility; 40,000 of which is dedicated to Art and Culture and 70,000 to Athletic facilities.
The Columbus Centre (CC) is seeking an Assistant Aquatics Supervisor to monitor the pool area to ensure the safety of patrons in the aquatic facility by monitoring the activities of swimmers and preventing and responding to emergencies. This position will also be responsible for supervising children’s swimming lessons and assisting the Aquatic Supervisor in organizing, developing and implementing all aquatic operations to ensure that facilities are safe and trained certified aquatic staff is available.
- Monitors activities in all pool areas to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers.
- Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in the facility and acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency. Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas.
- Provides emergency care and first aid treatment as required until the arrival of Emergency Medical Services.
- Supervises children’s swimming lessons. Records attendance of both instructors and swim class participants.
- Teaches swimming techniques to children and adults in both class and private settings.
- Communicates with parents handling their feedback and suggestions and forwarding relevant information to the Aquatics Supervisor along with instructors’ performance evaluations.
- Communicates and works closely with the Aquatics Supervisor to address any issues and promote new and existing aquatic programs offered at the Centre
- Assists the Aquatics Supervisor in planning, organizing and implementing aquatic registration procedures and programs.
- Oversees part-time staff, including qualifications, shift coverage and replacements.
- Assists Aquatics Supervisor with hiring and training new and existing staff, mentoring, motivating and disciplining.
- Exhibits ability to effective deal with internal and external customers, some of who will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information, and resolve conflicts.
- Assists Supervisor with payroll by preparing bi-weekly schedules and monitoring staff replacements throughout pay period.
- Acts as a Supervisor in charge during Supervisor’s absence. May be required to open or close pool and Supervise pool on the weekends.
- Teaches Aquafit Classes to members when necessary and assists with shift replacements.
- Ensures all aquatic staff follows pool opening and closing procedures.
- Greets club members, their guests and program users and responds to their questions and concerns.
- Performs various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility. Maintains the pool and surrounding area and pool related equipment.
- Monitors and maintains chemical balance of the pool by performing water testing procedures every two hours as required by City of Toronto (cleans and refills swimming pool and determines chlorine content and pH balance of water using water testing kit and makes necessary adjustments).
- Conducts monthly Health & Safety inspections and attends quarterly Health & Safety meetings.
- Oversees the purchase of necessary pool chemicals and materials.
- Performs other duties, as required.
Position requires flexible hours
- Must possess current Lifeguarding Certification – National Lifeguard Service (NLS)
- Must possess current Red Cross Instructors Certificate and/or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor Certification
- Must possess current Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- Aquafit Instructor Certificate, plus 2 years of experience in aquafit instruction, an asset
- CPO Certification(Certified Pool Operator), an asset
- WHMIS training, an asset
- Current Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- 2-3 years team lead/supervisory experience, an asset
- Provides highest level of customer service and professionalism at all times
- Knowledge of Italian language and/or Italian Canadian community, an asset
The organization offers a competitive salary and complimentary gym membership. Compensation for this position will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s education, experience and career achievements.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those that most closely match the job specifications will be contacted. This position will remain posted until it has been filled.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to:
Aquatic Therapeutic Instructors II
Assistant Aquatic Coordinator & Lifeguard (Summer)
Aquatics Assistant Manager
Early Childhood Educator Assistant SUPPLY