User Research Assistant
Do you like mobile games? Do you ever wonder why some games become a success and others do not? If you have a passion for games, and understand the mobile game market and free-to-play, and are interested in finding the answer to what makes d game successful, than we would love to hear from you.
Ubisoft Halifax’s User Research Lab (established in August, 2016) is looking for a new User Research Assistant. You will work closely with the User Research Manager to collaborate with production team on very exciting projects. You will work on a large variety of other projects with teams from different studios around the world to help them improve the user experience of their games. Last but not least, you will collaborate with other user research teams within our organization. Work locally, think globally.
The User Research Assistant will report directly to the User Research Manager and assist in the conducting, analyzing, and reporting on user tests to inform game design and drive impactful improvements in the usability and playability of Ubisoft Mobile titles. The user researcher assistant has to have a great attention to detail, with good people skills, and a knack for organizing test events. In this positon you will learn to analyse and write detailed reports on what makes a game successful.
This is a term contract, with the possibility of it becoming a full time position.
Running playtests at Ubisoft Halifax:
- Collaborating with the UR Manager to make sure playtest goals and research requirements and understood, and appropriate methodology is chosen for each playtest.
- Making sure playtest methodology is understood, and adequate preparation work (e.g. pilot playtests, developing the checklists and questionnaires) are done prior to each playtest.
- Playing the games before the playtests and formulating hypothesizes about
- Performing a role as moderator during playtests and making sure all steps of the playtest are followed, by closely following the established playtest checklists.
- Working with the UR team to analyze to assist in the analysis of collected data as well as with the writing of reports and presentation of said data.
- Become familiar with the wide range of mobile devices to determine which devices may be appropriate for our playtests (e.g., Android, iPhone, Windows, Huawei, LG, etc.)
Developing the community of play-testers:
- Supporting the development of Halifax’s database of available play-testers, and increasing the number of players through advertising.
- Making sure database of play-testers is up-to-date, and working with UR Manager to communicate with our community of playtests and ensure that inquires get responded to in a timely manner.
- Helping the UR Manager to preselect and schedule appropriate participants for playtests.
- Calling participants to confirm their attendance 24 hours before their playtest is scheduled.
- Developing personal skills & knowledge-base (staying agile and up-to-date on UR methodology).
- Developing knowledge-base of the gaming industry, generally, and mobile gaming, specifically.
- Developing proficiency with related UR tools and software (e.g. Playtest Manager, tableau, report templates, analysis templates, JIRA, etc.).
- Developing knowledge of writing reports, research methodology, communicating with teams, and data analysis.
Profile / Requirements
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, User Research, Human Factors or other related field
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a similar position or other relevant experience.
- Strong communication skills – including the ability to present results to stakeholders in various levels of the organization and being able to work well in a team structure
- Analytical and synthesis skills
- Proactivity when formulating research questions
- Organization skills and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to innovate and determine strategies when sending out reports, graphics and representations of statistical data
- Able to analyze and deconstruct games of different genres to understand their respective facets
- Knowledge of the video game industry and a passion for games
- Knowledge of mobile and free-to-play games market and design trends
- ·Strong research and experimental design background, including knowledge of various quantitative and qualitative analysis methods
- Working knowledge of statistics
- Strong skills with the MS Office suite of tools: Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Fluent English
What can we offer you!
- Competitive salary scale
- Additonal paid time off over the Christmas Holidays
- In studio Gym
- Comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision care
- Flexible work hours, for life/work balance
- International and diverse team
- Summer months bring "Summer Fridays"
- New and funky Studio
Ubisoft Halifax is one of the newest Ubisoft Studios to take on the growing mobile game market. As Ubisoft's first exclusively Mobile studio in North America, our focus is on originality and functionality. Creating new projects and developing Flagship Ubisoft IP’s. Our position on the tip of the East Coast is strategic in terms of studio efficiency (closest to European and American Time zones), and creativity (biggest game hub east of Montreal).
Halifax is to Canada, what Boston is to the States; a founding City full of forts, historic buildings and award winning modern architecture. Being a city with three University’s, Halifax boasts tons of nightlife, world class restaurants, and for the outdoors types; unparalleled yet affordable outdoor adventures.