Director of Maintenance
Pitt Meadows, BC
Founded in 1988, Montair was established with the goal of training future professional pilots to a skill and knowledge level that would allow them to serve the airline industry with minimal further training required.
Due to strong demand for skilled airline pilots from China's rapidly growing aviation industry, the company took a new direction in 2005. Montair was and continues to be one of the few schools around the world to receive approval from the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) to train airline pilots. The company has developed an advanced airline training program, designed to provide the most professional, highly skilled pilots to the airlines. To date, Montair has trained and graduated hundreds of airline pilots, a number that continues to grow.
Montair is one of the fastest growing flight training schools in the country. It is a fast paced environment, with constantly changing objectives. We are continuing to expand our training program both in terms of student capacity and the acquisition of additional training assets including turbine aircraft in early 2017.
POSITION: Director of Maintenance REPORTS TO: CEO
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Permanent Full Time LOCATION: Based in Pitt Meadows, BC
REMUNERATION: A highly competitive salary with extended benefits; training and career development opportunities are offered for the successful candidate.
The Director of Maintenance (DOM) is the Person Responsible for Maintenance (PRM) and will ensure that their work duties are accomplished in accordance with the directions of the CEO.
The DOM list of responsibilities applies to the main base, sub-base and any satellite bases under the control of Montair Aviation and its parent companies.
Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices. This position will also interact with the executive team.
The duties of the Director of Maintenance will consist of, but are not limited to the following:
- Organizing and directing the operation of the maintenance department.
- Ensuring that daily, monthly and long-term plans and strategies with respect to fleet maintenance are developed, executed and reported to the executive team. This shall include engine overhaul and fleet upgrade programs.
- Develop systems and methodologies to improve efficiencies and cost-savings in the maintenance department.
- Ensure all staff under his/her direction work in a safe and conscientious manner.
- Perform aircraft maintenance/repair work as required.
- Ensuring that sufficient materials, special tools, and equipment are calibrated and have been made available to accomplish the required maintenance of the company fleet.
- Control and maintenance of aircraft technical records.
- Approving and controlling operational expenses for the maintenance of the company fleet.
- Providing the company with direction and policy with respect to aircraft and associated equipment.
- Generating and presenting reports to the company President/CEO on technical facets of the maintenance department.
- Developing strategies for growth regarding aircraft types, staff levels and facility requirements.
- Liaising with regulatory agencies concerning all aspects of the operation that relate to the Aircraft Maintenance Organization (AMO).
- Liaising between the Company and Transport Canada regarding maintenance and related subjects.
- Responsible for inspection and approval of outside aircraft, component repair, and overhaul facilities.
- Arrange for the contracting of services, when required, to incorporate modifications or repairs to company aircraft.
- Ensuring that maintenance personnel have obtained a valid license and the necessary training to be conversant with the types of aircraft and aeronautical products listed on the company’s ratings and that required staff training records are maintained.
- Maintain a system for defect tracking and rectification, including MEL approvals and extensions.
- Where necessary, arrange for ferry flights in accordance with the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) and the MPM.
- Operating a Quality Assurance Program as per the MPM.
- Providing final company authority for amendments to aircraft and aeronautical products, maintenance and inspection procedures.
- Maintain a system of control for the certification and traceability of aeronautical products and material.
- Responsible for development, amendment and distribution of the company MPM.
- Ensuring all work carried out by the AMO is in accordance with the MPM
- Co-manage the safety management system, with the Regulatory Affairs Lead.
- Organizing, supervising and communicating with the stores department at all maintenance bases.
- Developing methods of monitoring and improving productivity in the stores department.
- Continually develop maintenance department Standard Operating Procedures as required.
- Promote a safety culture throughout the department by encouraging hazard identification and incident reporting as required by the Quality Assurance Program.
- Regular meetings with COO and Executive Director around fiscal and operational planning.
- All other duties assigned by the CEO.
- Supervising maintenance personnel and will perform oversight and any required briefings to the Company.
- Responsible for training of all new maintenance line service personnel.
- Approve timesheets for maintenance staff.
QUALIFICATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITY
- Qualified as PRM, as required by CAR 573.04 and CAR 573.03(1)(a), including a minimum of six years’ experience in the performance or direct supervision of maintenance activities of the type undertaken by the organization, at least six months of which have been obtained within the preceding two years.
- Hold a valid AME M1 licence with ACA on at least one type of Company operated aircraft.
- Quality Assurance training or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with turbine, pressurized aircraft maintenance, particularly the King Air 90 series.
- Experienced on Cessna 100 series and Piper PA34 aircraft.
- Computer literate, Word, Powerpoint, Excel spreadsheets.
- Managerial skills including selection, coaching and counseling team members, evaluating performance, team building and administration and operational planning.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management; implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization.
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view.
- Persuasive with details and facts.
- Delegates responsibilities effectively.
- High comfort level working in a diverse environment.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Montair’s aircraft and flight trainers and associated ground equipment
- Classroom equipment as necessary
- AVGAS fuel, oil, machinery
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
- Work on shop floor, outdoors, on the flight line and ramp
- Frequent lifting of materials up to 30 lbs
- Bending, stooping, climbing
- May include working on back and/or confined spaces
- Exposure to a wide variety of environmental conditions including extreme heat, cold, wind, humidity and precipitation
- Congested/active ramp environment with multiple aircraft
- Constantly exposed to noise, fumes, gas, chemicals, dust or dirt
- Frequently operates dangerous machinery requiring safety equipment such as safety eyeglasses, hearing protectors, work boots and hard hats
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO APPLICANTS WTH THE FOLLOWING:
- SMS safety manual training.
- Leadership training or experience.
- Project management experience
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES MUST COMPLETE:
- Safety Manager and Investigator training for SMS (to be completed at earliest opportunity after accepting DOM position).
- Company recurrent SMS training.
- Recurrent HFIAM training.
- MPM Training.
Wildlife Care Assistant (Summer Job)
ESL Center Director, Vancouver
Director of Maintenance