Cast in Place Segmental Bridge Superintendent
The American Bridge Canada Company
Compensation Range: CAD$131,000.00 - CAD$170,000.00 per year
Hours of work: 40 – 55 hours per week
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Operations Manager
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, RRSP – Registered Retirement Savings Plan
Position Type: Temporary, Full-Time
We are currently searching for a Superintendent with over ten (10) years of experience managing the construction of multi-million dollar civil infrastructure projects. Segmental Bridge Design-Build experience is a must, as well as a proven track record of managing multiple crews. Should be able to show results in ensuring work is well planned, executed and with exceptional quality, while working safely and delivering projects on time and under budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages 2-6 subordinate Foremen who supervise a total of 10-30 employees in the various craft trades to include the following: Piledrivers, Operators/Drivers, Welders, Carpenters/Finishers, and Labourers. Responsible for the overall selection, direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Read, understand, interpret and enforce safety policies and practices.
- Read and understand plans, specifications, shop drawings and local building codes.
- Schedules and documents all required inspections, quality testing, or other compliance requirements;
- Comply with and document environmental permits and inspections;
- Completes daily reports such as units complete, safety reports, EEO meetings and weekly unit cost worksheets.
- Read and understand global project schedules and generate two-week construction schedules weekly.
- Schedule and order materials, inspections and manpower in order to meet project schedules and specifications.
- Inspect work in progress to ensure that workmanship conforms to specifications and the adherence to construction schedules.
- Confers with and directs personnel and subcontractors engaged in planning and executing work, interpreting specifications and coordinating various phases of construction to prevent delays.
- Maintain a general knowledge of equipment used on the job, including basic understanding of equipment limits and designed purposes.
- Track delivery, use, and completion of rentals on the job.
- Complete regular performance reviews for employees under his/her direction, in a complete and timely manner. Ensure that employee understands the review, signs the review form and is provided a copy for his/her records.
- Provide training to employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Confer with personnel to resolve complaints and grievances within work force.
- Complete 20 hours per year of continued education relating to the field.
- Attend monthly superintendent meetings and participate actively.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experienced in scheduling, ordering, field supervision, safety management, quality control and budgeting of all phases of civil construction.
- Experience in Segmental Bridge Construction projects in excess of $25 million.
- Strong leadership, organizational and time management skills, as well as strong communication and client service skills.
- Must be able to work in Canada legally.
- Must be willing to work in a drug-free environment and agree to a post-offer drug test.
- Must be willing to work safely and keep OSHA recordable incidents to a minimum.
- Comprehensive knowledge of industry standards and specialty bridge design software; must be proficient with MS Office.
- Good Verbal and Written communication skills. Ability to effectively plan and organize to meet project deadlines.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodical, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts related to structural engineering, and related calculations. Individual should possess some level of business acumen, including knowledge of operating expenses, profit, etc. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software and reporting tools related to databases. Must have the ability to learn design software programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Must have a current driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be regularly required to use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk.
American Bridge is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/H/V