Construction Field Engineer
Dagmar Construction Inc.
What we are looking for:
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Highway and Bridge sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
- Prepare material take offs, inspections and requisitions.
- Attend site safety briefings.
- Inspect installed construction work for quality compliance with drawings, specifications and codes, including inspection and test plans, and ensure correct utilization of testing equipment.
- -Accountable for on-site project activities which may include reviewing, monitoring of sub-contractors, supervision, engineering, procurement and any other job related activities.
- Assist Superintendents in phases of construction engineering and installation of materials and equipment, as assigned.
- Track payment quantities and update relevant project tracking databases, coordinating input with the Superintendent by reviewing progress on site. Coordinate schedule and cost input with Project Controls.
- Monitor the actual cost versus budget performance during construction.
- Contribute to the development of subcontract bid packages as required.
- Prepares daily progress reports with photographic evidence and uploads. Keeps supervisor informed on progress of assigned tasks verbally.
- Prepares change notices and amendments.
- Maintain and update the Shop Drawing Log, review Shop Drawings and submittals.
- Research and recommend solutions to design document problems, including conflicts, interferences and errors/omissions, coordinating the implementation with Engineering and Construction Management.
- Produces change notices; field sketches, and marks up red-line drawings to provide as?built documentation and drawings.
- Attend project co-ordination and owner/contractor/architect/engineer meetings as requested or required.
- Coordinate submittals and procure all close-out documents including warranties and Operating and Maintenance Manuals.
- Perform additional assignments and responsibilities as assumed or requested by supervision in accordance with project protocols.
- Experience in identification of research requirements, proposal writing, project management, and reporting through written documentation, presentations and publishing
- Flexibility is important as contracts are often short-term, and relocation may be necessary.
- A minimum of 35 years of field engineering experience in the heavy construction industry with a good track record in roads, sewers, structures in municipal infrastructure projects.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in civil engineering discipline, however, candidates with Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering with emphasis on Structures will get the priority. Registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) or E.I.T (or in the process of registration).
- Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved including current knowledge of new methods of design and construction (National building code of Canada, Canadian highway bridge design code. Knowledge on emerging technologies and composite materials would be considered an asset.
- Using a range of computer packages for developing detailed designs (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Microsoft Office Package, Staad pro as well as Sap 2000).
- Planned and organized in your approach to work and meeting deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for an engineering career in transportation or related discipline, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work.
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving.
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive.
- Flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans.
- Committed to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole.
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to:
Storm Drainage/Wastewater Hydraulic Modeler
Water Hydraulic Modeler
Site Superintendent - ICI New Build