Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
We are currently searching for a Superintendent with 10+ years of experience managing the construction of multi-million dollar civil infrastructure projects. Segmental Bridge Design-build experience is a must as well as a proven track record of managing multiple crews. Should be able to show results in ensuring work is well planned, executed and with exceptional quality while working safely and delivering projects on time and under budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages 2-6 subordinate Foreman who supervise a total of 10-30 employees in the various craft trades to include, Piledrivers, Operators/Drivers, Welders, Carpenters/Finishers and Labourers. Is responsible for the overall selection, direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Read, understand, interpret, and enforce safety policies and practices.
- Read and understand plans, specifications, shop drawings and local building codes.
- Schedules and documents all required inspections, quality testing, or other compliance requirements.
- Comply with and document environmental permits and inspections.
- Completes daily reports such as units complete, safety reports, EEO meetings and weekly unit cost worksheets.
- Read and understand global project schedules and generate two-week construction schedules weekly.
- Schedule and order materials, inspections and manpower in order to meet project schedules and specifications.
- Inspects work in progress to ensure that workmanship conforms to specifications and the adherence to construction schedules.
- Confers with and directs personnel and subcontractors engaged in planning and executing work, interpreting specifications, and coordinating various phases of construction to prevent delays.
- Maintain a general knowledge of equipment used on the job including basic understanding of equipment limits and designed purposes.
- Track delivery, use and completion of rentals on the job.
- Complete regular performance reviews for employees under his/her direction in a complete and timely manner. Ensures the employee understands the review, signs the review form and is provided a copy for his/her records.
- Provide training to employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Confers with personnel to resolve complaints and grievances within work force.
- Complete 20 hours per year of continued education relating to our field.
- Attend monthly Superintendent meetings and participate actively.
- Experienced in scheduling, ordering, field supervision, safety management, quality control, and budgeting of all phases of civil construction.
- Must have experience with construction of large segmental bridges with at least one assignment using the cast in place segmental method.
- This position must demonstrate strong leadership, organizational and time management skills, as well as have strong communication and client service
Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, RRSP-Registered Retirement Savings Plan
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to legally work in Canada.
- Must be willing to work in a drug-free environment and agree to a post offer drug test.
- Must be willing to work safely and keep OSHA recordable incidents to a minimum.
- Comprehensive knowledge of industry standards and specialty bridge design software; must be proficient with MS Office.
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively plan and organize to meet project deadlines.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts related to structural engineering and related calculations. Individual should some level of business acumen, including knowledge of operating expenses, profit, etc. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software, reporting tools related to databases. Must have the ability to learn design software programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current driver's license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk.
American Bridge is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/H/V
If you have the skills and experience required for this position, please forward your resume to: