Electro-optic Design Engineer
What do we do?
Lumentum (NASDAQ: LITE) is a market-leading manufacturer of innovative optical and photonic products enabling optical networking and commercial laser customers worldwide. Lumentum’s optical components and subsystems are part of virtually every type of telecom, enterprise, and data center network. Lumentum’s commercial lasers enable advanced manufacturing techniques and diverse applications including next-generation 3D sensing capabilities. Lumentum is headquartered in Milpitas, California with R&D, manufacturing, and sales offices worldwide. For more information, visit www.Lumentum.com
What will you do in this role?
As a key team member, working within a small, fast paced multi-disciplinary R&D team that designs Lumentum's next-generation transmission components (100Gb/s, 200Gb/s, 400Gb/s), you will:
- Help execute the design, characterization and validation of innovative new optical subassembly (OSA) products, from concept through to high volume manufacturing. (Optical design and characterization activities to include both guided and free space optics);
- Select optical technologies against design requirements, define component specifications and complete component design. (The enabling technologies include silicon photonics, InP, micro-optics, single mode fiber and fiber ribbons, planar lightwave circuit , thin-film filters, MEMS devices, diffractive optics, etc.);
- Construct experimental setups to verify optical design concepts and component / subassembly performance;
- Perform data analysis and generate technical reports;
- Complete design tolerancing and interface with component suppliers to optimize manufacturability and minimize cost;
- Work with process engineering to define alignment procedures and optical assembly processes and techniques.
What experience will allow you the greatest success in this role?
- Graduate degree in Engineering or Applied Science. (PhD preferred);
- Minimum 3 years of hands on experience in an optoelectronics / photonics lab or industrial environment;
- Experience with optical test and characterization equipment (optical spectrum analyzer, tunable laser, precision optical alignment, optical metrology, vision systems, thin film characterization…);
- Experience with optical modeling and data analysis tools, such as Zemax, Lumerical, Matlab, JMP, Sentaurus, CodeV, Minitab or similar;
- Broad knowledge of packaging related technologies (optics, III-V optoelectronics, high speed digital electronics, semiconductor process technologies, epoxies, thermo-mechanical design etc…);
- High energy, enthusiastic problem solver with a strong desire to learn new things;
- Good command of the English language (written and oral).
Quote Job Reference: 10001781